Well hello! Hope you had a lovely weekend! I got a project done that’s been harassing me for months. Well, not really. It just seemed like the window in the living room that had been nekked forever was mocking me every time I walked by. And the extra fabric I bought six months ago to go on it was yelling at me to JUST GET IT DONE.
Sheesh. Chill out already!!
You might remember when I changed out the drapes in the living room. They absolutely transformed the room and brought it from the dark into the light!
Because I was trying to save some cost on the fabric, I ended up cutting each length of fabric in half and used the halves for the new drapes. (Instead of buying double the yardage, I just bought enough for one window and cut the fabric in half length-wise).
But the skinny skinny panels were starting to look pretty…well, skinny. Wordsmith, I know. ;) I hadn’t even lined them yet, so I waited on that to decide how I wanted to change them up.
I went back to Calico Corners hoping to find something that I could use on each side of the panels to beef them up a bit. I couldn’t find a solid fabric that worked, but I did find a stripe that matched perfectly:
Every color in the stripes is in the fabric and I couldn't believe how well it worked! Although I must say it had me a bit out of my comfort zone. But I wanted to try a little something different so I went with it.
Six months later. ;)
Turns out my DIY craft table in the basement is a PERFECT sewing table! Up till now I’ve been sewing upstairs in the guest room because it has great light. But I use an ironing board and it’s not exactly the best set up.
This worked great!:
I only got enough fabric for one window, knowing that I would cut it into four strips – two for each window. (There were exactly four sets of the stripes across the fabric.)
I thought sewing a straight line along straight lines would be pretty darn easy, but. no.
I’m here to tell you the lines that aren’t straight will NEVER be noticed after all is said and done. I promise. If the straight line eludes you and keeps you from trying to sew, please don’t let it!!
I sewed a strip of the stripe (huh?) on one side of print fabric, then lined them all (with lining I’ve also had forever).
I tried the stripe on the outside first, but liked it on the inside of the windows much better:
All of the colors on the striped fabric were a bit too much at first, so I just tucked some of it behind and clipped it back there with the drapery rings. I was not about to cut them down and resew them. SO not about to.
I absolutely LOVE the bit of contrast along the insides of the drapes:
The dark blue green color pops, and the lighter green beside that kind of disappears in the light coming through the window.
I still can’t believe how perfectly the colors matched!
I wanted to add a little somethin’ to the windows and it turned out better than I had even hoped:
I even notice them more now – that little bit of color made a big difference!
I’ve been changing things up in here over the past year, and there’s still a few more projects in the works. One BIG, one medium one and one kind of easy one. ;)
That’s what I say now anyway.
If you’ve been around long you know I love to look back. Early last year the room was dark with lots of black and red:
Wow, what a difference a year makes!
The room looks completely different now – and the wall color and the sofa haven’t even changed. I’m LOVING all the color in this room now!:
The floors don’t hurt one bit either. ;)
Now I just need to find a stinkin’ rug that doesn’t cost a thousand stinkin’ bucks. I was thinking a large print at first, but now I’m leaning toward something very neutral. The colors in the drapes and accessories are plenty!
Stay tuned for more updates…hopefully it won’t take me another six months. I make no promises.
P.S. I’m honored that someone thought to nominate TDC over at the Apartment Therapy Homies!:
I don’t ask this often, but I would love your vote! You can go here to do just that if you want. :) THANK YOU!