Hello there all! Sorry for the late post today! I'm back with another quick update to the master bedroom. We have two bedrooms that I've been working on for some time and I really want to call them DONE. (See the updates to the guest room here.) The master has been a long process, so long that I've already changed out the bedding that I bought for the room when I started. Thankfully the end of this makeover is in sight!
I got a new duvet cover years ago when I started updating this room but the animals wore it out quick. I wanted something with a little more color to it too -- not a lot because I really want to this to be a calm and relaxing space. I started keeping my eye out when I was out and about and finally found a comforter set at HomeGoods -- you could see a peek of it when I finally started painting the rest of the walls:
It came with the basic pillow shams but because I'm a girl I like a few more pillows on the bed. :) I like some decorative ones and I sleep with approximately seven pillows so I guess you could say I have a bit of a problem.
I made covers for the euros (I get my inserts at IKEA -- best prices anywhere!) and a few others a year ago, but of course they didn't go with the new bedding. I have to tell you -- mixing and matching fabrics stresses me out. I feel like I do OK at it, but it takes a lot of effort. Lots of shopping around finding the perfect patterns and colors to go together. Sometimes the thought of fabric shopping has me giddy and sometimes messing with all of that just wears me out. Seriously.
Another thing -- last month I did my no spend month and I tell you what, after that month I kind of hate to the leave the house to run errands. It's weird. Not spending means I'm home a lot more and I get used to that and love it. So because I'm still easing into my errand running, I was looking for an easy and quick fix for the new pillow covers.
Yet again, I went with the slightly nontraditional. I do this a lot. :) I took one of the new shams with me to HomeGoods (to match it) and browsed the drapery aisle. I found a basic but pretty set:
The two eight foot drapes were $25 -- which is a steal when it comes to some fabrics. If I went to the fabric store with a coupon I probably could have spent less, but sometimes you just don't want to drive all over the place.
I thought I would just need one panel and could use the other for something else later, but I cut my covers too small the first time. Thankfully I had the extra drapery panel and three 26x26 (I make the covers slightly smaller) pillows came out of that perfectly.
I still need to steam a few wrinkles out, but I'm really happy with the simpler look on the bed:
I LOVE the new bedding! I just think it's so pretty. All of the colors work beautifully with the room and the light color works perfectly with the new pillow covers. I got rid of a few more throw pillows I used to have on the bed -- I wanted to tone things down a bit. It was such a pain to put them all on the bed after making it every day too.
I'm lying. You all know I made the bed for you today and that's the first time it's happened in a long time. Anyway, I just didn't want as many anymore so I stuck with the three euros, two king pillows and a long accent one:
Less fuss for sure!
I like how the new euros work with my chair in there too. I'm a matching girl at heart…I like to mix patterns but they have to have colors that carry through. I'm not one who can just throw random colors together -- when it's done well I love that in other homes. It's just not me.
The other new additions to the room are the Tarva dressers from IKEA -- we've had them for a few months now but I have yet to finish them. The materials are in the garage, I just have to do it!:
I'm so glad to get one more thing knocked off the list in this room -- next I need to hem the bed skirt (it's crazy long!) and then finish up a couple more projects in this space. I'm very close to calling this one done!
This room is sooooo soothing and pretty and we LOVE it. Thankfully even with the new bedding everything so far has been a wash with what we got from selling our bed years ago. I think I'm just now at the point where I'm going to spend more than what we got so that's awesome.
Oh, and I thought I took a photo of this bedding packaging but have looked and looked and cannot find it. I wish I could tell you the brand name! I know it's a brand that HomeGoods carries a lot -- I see it every time I visit. If I see it again I'll be sure to update this.
So there you go -- more pillows made from things that aren't supposed to be pillows. I do this often. :) (Go here and here to see.) I think it's a great way to improvise and sometimes it's cheaper than something from the fabric store. And it's a great option when you're just feeling lazy and don't want to drive one more place. ;)
Here's more info on other projects in this room!:
DIY headboard for $100
Gray accent wall behind bed
TV gallery wall